How Was That Decision Made?

On Behalf of WEA’s More Conservative Members #16 How Was That Decision Made? 5.11.20 I can’t believe they did that! Have you ever had that reaction upon learning of a decision by a group in which you are a member? I know I have. In my earlier, wilder, greener years, the Irishman in me usually won out and I went ballistic. The change came when my local association’s Rep Council voted to contribute to a fund in memory of Christine McAullife, the teacher who died in the explosion of the Challenger. I remembered that McAullife’s nomination as an astronaut was Pres. Reagan’s sole education plank in his bid for re-election in 1984. I spoke against the motion and lost, as you can imagine, Big Time! While other business was being carried on, I was occupied with mulling over my action. When the opportunity came, I asked for a reconsideration of the motion. Not to oppose it again, but to make the decision unanimous. Yes, I had been the only no vote. Was I still upset that Pres. Reagan couldn’t come up with anything better to do for education than send a teacher to her death? Yes! But, my obstinance was self-serving and dysfunctional. Oddly enough, my request was granted. And I had learned a valuable lesson, something I should have understood after years of participation in my local’s decision making. It’s not about me and it certainly isn’t about attacking the system. This decision had been made democratically by delegates elected by their buildings to represent them. The processes for decision making in WEA are designed to be exceptionally democratic and subject to specific “parliamentary rules of order”, whether in local associations, the state association, and the national association. However, processes are only as good as the people who execute them. If those people act according to their constitution, bylaws & parliamentary rules, conduct fair debate, and record votes accurately, the processes works. Sometimes, we fail. Hopefully, members will point out those failures and we can make the necessary corrections. I will share a couple of examples in the next postings. ------------ Ken Mortland is a member of WEA-Retired, continuing a long career of activism in WEA/NEA. He is also a lifelong Republican and a member of Mainstream Republicans of WA Board.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sec. of State Handles Calls for Help from Other States

ARE THE ATTACKS ON USPS AN ATTACK ON THE CONSTITUTION?

The Righteous US v. The Evil Them