Finne Misleading About the Future of Public Funds for Private Schools

Business Pulse Article (https://businesspulse.com/sep-oct-2020/ ) Liv Finne (Education Direstor for Washington Policy Center) I hope this message finds you well and dealing with what appears to be the end of our on again/off again summer. The return of the rain and clear skies were certainly pleasing. I was quite surprised at how much the bright sunlight on the evergreens around our home raised my spirits. I read your Business Pulse article. Congratulation on getting it published. It’s both concise and well constructed. I realise you had space limitations, so citations were problematic, but you did include a WAC and two legislative bills. And then there’s the list of countries that provide public funds to private school students. That gives the reader significant sources from which to learn more. The Espinoza Decision will certainly have long reaching impact. Even taking away the issue of religious bigotry that allegedly inspired Blaine Amendments, the issue seemed ripe for review. You and others infer Espinoza declares all Blaine Amendments unConstitutional. I’m not sure that I agree, but I’ve not spent time or resources researching the matter as of yet. Right now, I’m more focused upon the Camel’s Nose argument. I think your references to Rep. Kraft’s bill (HB 2933) and Sen. Schoesler’s bill (SB 6520) are somewhat misleading, in that they imply more material benefits than are likely to be forthcoming. HB2933 was assigned to committee on Feb. 10th and there was no further action upon the bill. Although SB6520 was assigned to committee on Jan. 20th, it failed to receive any committee attention thereafter. So, both bills appear to be proforma in nature and gained no traction in the 2020 session. At least, they make for good campaigning arguments for Kraft and Schoesler, respectively; but likely little else. WAC392-172A-04040 (5b) provides services to eligible students “Through contract by the school district with an individual, association, agency, organization, or other entity.” That makes it legal for school districts that can’t provide the recommended services to contract with an outside agency. Again, the material benefits of this code are overestimated, as most school districts are able to provide recommended services. Furthermore, the concept of ‘recommended service’ implies IEPs for special ed students, further narrowing the scope of the code. In all, I think you’ve painted a much rosier picture of the future of this kind of reform than is warranted. Depending upon the outcome of my research on the widespread impact of Espinoza, I shall make up my mind to what degree, if any, I can support Kraft’s or Schoesler’s bills. Right now, I am skeptical; but the issue is certainly ripe for further discussion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sec. of State Handles Calls for Help from Other States

ARE THE ATTACKS ON USPS AN ATTACK ON THE CONSTITUTION?

The Righteous US v. The Evil Them